CAHSS accepts applications to the Master's and Graduate Certificate programs from any person who possesses, or is in the process of completing a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university. Applicants must complete all bachelor's degree requirements before beginning graduate studies.
To ensure that your application is complete, please use the checklist below and follow the detailed instructions provided for each item. All documents that are submitted to the University will need to include your name on each page. NSU recommends that you start the application process at least 1-2 months prior to the deadline date. Note: Documents should be submitted in Word (.docx, .doc) or Acrobat (.pdf) formats only.
International students are encouraged to contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at (954) 262-7240 or 800-541-6682, ext. 27240 or by email at email@example.com.
- Complete online application form
- Non refundable application fee of $50 (in U.S. dollars)
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Official transcripts from all schools attended and/or agency evaluation of foreign degree.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher in last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework or a master's degree with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Please briefly explain (500 word minimum) tell us why you are interested in the program to which you are applying for, as well as your professional goals, your assessment of your abilities to manage the challenges of graduate school, and any other information you would like to provide. The personal statement helps us get to know you beyond the objective data provided in review of your course grades and other objective information. It also demonstrates your ability to communicate your thoughts in a professional, organized and succinct manner.
- One academic or professional letter of recommendation
- A sample of academic writing
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- English proficiency score (if applicable)
- An interview may be required for admission to the program.
Transfer students must meet the program admissions criteria. Up to six graduate credits may be transferred into this program. The courses that may be transferred into the program will be determined on a case by case basis and must be deemed comparable in level, content, and rigor to those within the Graduate Certificate program.
Foreign nationals who reside outside the U.S. at the time of application, and whose native language is not English, must present evidence of proficiency in English by satisfactorily completing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Score requirements are the same as undergraduate admission and are as follows: minimum paper score = 550; minimum computerized score = 213; minimum internet score = 79). A score of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (ILETS) exam is accepted in lieu of the TOEFL.
Applicants who have attended foreign universities or colleges are required to have their academic credentials evaluated for U.S. institutional equivalence. While there are several credential evaluators, the most widely used companies are listed below or visit NACES.
Admissions Offer Disclaimer
Please note that NSU reserves the right to rescind or place conditions upon admissions offers should information become available that calls into question an admitted student’s academic performance or character, including that which reflects a violation of NSU’s Code of Student Conduct.
After applying, what happens next?
After the Department of Recruitment and Admissions has received the completed application for admission (with supplemental documents), the admissions file is submitted to a faculty committee for review. Depending on the time of year and intended semester, the faculty review process may take five to ten business days. However, the process will be longer if the faculty committee requires additional information for review and/or an admissions interview.1
At any time during the review process, applicants may check their status online via the application portal. Once a decision has been made, notification is sent via email to the address on file.
1All newly submitted admission documents are sent to a centralized university processing center. Depending on the time of year, additional days may be added to the overall processing time.