Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Travel Study

Getting Started

Choosing a Travel Study Course

Review the Travel Study courses offered by the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. If you have questions about a particular course, please speak with the faculty member teaching the course. If you have questions about how travel study fits into your major's curriculum, please speak with your academic advisor.

If you would like to pursue a travel abroad trip not offered by the college, contact NSU's Office of International Affairs.

Understand Your Destination

Once you have selected a location for travel study, do your homework. A good place to start is the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, which provides updated fact sheets for all countries. These fact sheets provide general information about each country's culture and history as well as visitors' safety issues, health concerns, and any current travel advisories. While travel study is generally a safe experience, certain areas of the world may be politically unstable, unsafe, and, therefore, not recommended for travel study.

Paying for the Program

Travel study costs vary depending on the course. Students are required to pay all standard tuition costs and student fees for travel study courses, in addition to other course-specific fees and travel expenses. The costs for each course are detailed on the travel study course webpages.

While it can be costly to travel study, students should not let this hinder pursuing this opportunity. There are numerous resources available to help students defray the cost of travel study. Students who already receive financial assistance may still be eligible for that assistance. Scholarship opportunities are widely available to students wishing to travel study. Interested students should contact the Office of the Dean to discuss available financial assistance opportunities.

Getting a Passport

A current United States passport is required to enter a foreign country. Passports are issued by the U.S. Department of State through designated passport issuing offices. Most post offices serve as passport issuing offices.

Applying for a Visa

A visa is an authorization by a country for an individual to enter. Not every country requires visitors to secure visas. Some countries may also require a special student visa, depending on the duration of the travel study program. There are several ways to find out if your country of interest requires a visa. You may contact the country's embassy or consular offices in the United States. Also, the U.S. Department of State maintains comprehensive resources about other nations' entrance requirements.

Getting Health Insurance

Although many health insurance companies provide coverage for travel outside of the United States, students planning travel study should contact their providers to ensure that they will be covered. Some travel agencies or specialized travel insurance companies also sell temporary travel health insurance or additional insurance in case of emergency.

Food Concerns

In some countries, it is possible that the food and drinking water may not be up to the same standards as other countries. Warnings about these areas can be found at the country fact sheet of the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs. This should not keep you from going to a country with specific warnings, but if you do decide to travel to a country with a food warning, make sure to take the advice of the fact sheet and proceed accordingly.

Return to top of page