Top of Page
Skip main navigation
Alaska Travel Study

Travel Study

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for travel study?

Undergraduate students in good academic standing (not on probation) may participate in travel study. Some programs may have minimum academic requirements. Students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor and the faculty member teaching the specific travel study course prior to registering for the course.

What majors does the Travel Study Program cover?

While all undergraduate majors are encouraged to participate in travel study, students should speak with their academic advisor to ensure that it will support their academic programs or target graduation date.

What is the application process?

The application process depends on the specific program. Students interested in a particular travel-study program should contact the appropriate faculty member and review the application and other forms provided on the specific travel study course's webpage.

What costs are involved?

Students are required to pay all standard tuition costs and student fees for travel study courses, in addition to other course-specific fees and travel expenses (food, lodging, flights, etc.). The costs for each course are detailed on the travel study course webpages.

Do I need to know a foreign language to participate?

While there is a broad and diverse selection of travel-study courses available, knowledge of a foreign language is not necessarily required to participate. Some travel-study programs are specifically designed to teach foreign languages to beginners.

What essentials do I need to travel to a foreign country?

The minimum basic requirement to travel outside of the United States is a valid U.S. passport. Other requirements depend on the host country's entrance regulations, as well as the duration of the travel-study experience. Many countries issue an entrance visa upon arrival. Some countries require travelers to apply for an entrance visa before they arrive in the country. Some may also require special student visas.

What funding is available?

Students participating in the Travel Study Program may qualify for many different funding and scholarship opportunities. Interested students should discuss available options with the college's Office of the Dean.

Who should I contact for more information?

Speak with your academic advisor and the faculty member teaching the specific travel study course.

Return to top of page