- M.F.A. Florida Atlantic University
- B.F.A. James Madison University
Tennille Davis Shuster, M.F.A., is an Associate Professor in the Performing and Visual Arts Department who worked professionally as an illustrator and graphic designer for over a decade. An interest in letterpress printing, non-traditional binding methods and paper marbling fuel her desire to elevate graphic design – a format often characterized by ephemerality and frequently confined by commerce – to a more precious and self-expressive outcome. This objective is made evident in her many artist’s book editions, altered book sculptures, marbled art, and letterpress printed broadsides.
Shuster has received several awards, including the Florida Artists’ Book Prize. Her work has been published in numerous publications including American Craft and American Libraries magazines and For the Love of Letterpress (A&C Black Publishing). Shuster’s book art is internationally exhibited and resides in public and private collections including the Iraq National Library, Duke University’s Rare Book, Manuscript and Special Collections Library, the Jaffe Center for Book Arts, and the Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, among others.
In addition to being an educator and book artist, Shuster also maintains an active freelance design practice for such clients as: the National Retail Federation, Florida Theatre League, Broward County Libraries, Town of Palm Beach, City of Sunrise, and more. Projects include the design of calendars, invitations, newsletters, logos, maps, brochures, posters and postcards.
Areas of Academic Focus
- artist's books as a vehicle for graphic authorship
- altered book sculptures and installations
- letterpress printing (handset wood and lead type and photopolymer)
- hand-rendered and digital illustration
- large-format publication design
- ARTS 2200: Digital Photography
- ARTS 2410: Graphic Design I
- ARTS 2450: Graphic Design II
- ARTS 3020: Women in the Arts
- ARTS 3040: Museum Studies and Gallery Practices
- ARTS 3200: Digital Photographic Design
- ARTS 3450: Graphic Design III
- ARTS 3650: Typography
- ARTS 4250: Multimedia & Web Design
- ARTS 4500: Professional Print Design
- ARTS 4995: Senior Project
- HONR 2000Y: The Book As Art
News and Events