On behalf of the faculty, it is my pleasure to welcome you to the dance program at the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
The dance major provides a place to nurture your passion for dance, while giving you real-world experience in performance, choreography, and production. As a dance major, you'll have the opportunity to work with dance professionals both inside and outside of the classroom. Additionally, our small class size and committed faculty allow for a truly personalized experience.
Dance majors study dance as an art form from a variety of perspectives-historical, cultural, technical, and creative-and acquire valuable critical thinking and analytical skills that will translate to a wide range of careers.
We hope to see you in the studio!
Elana Lanczi, M.F.A.
Department of Performing and Visual Arts
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Why Choose This Major?
- Dance promotes critical thinking, creativity, and leadership.
- The dance program at the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences provides excellent dance training in a liberal arts setting and offers students a broad range of experiences.
- Our committed faculty members provide individual attention and mentor students to help them achieve their personal best.
- All aspects of dance (technique, performance, choreography, history, and production) are experienced in the college's beautiful, modern facilities.
- Students gain performance experience as members of the NSU Dance ensemble and are encouraged to present choreography in the college's Festival of Student Works and Dance Works productions.
- Dance learning extends beyond the classroom. Throughout the year, students have the opportunity to engage in a variety of dance-related activities including masterclasses, post-performance discussions, and professional dance concerts.
- Professional internship and scholarship opportunities are available for dance majors at the college.
Click here to learn about career opportunities for graduates of this program.
Past guest artists have included:
- John Beauregard, Guest Performer
- Brazz Dance Theater, Guest Performer
- Clarence Brooks, Guest Performer
- Katie Sopoci Drake, Guest Choreographer
- Josee Garant, Guest Choreographer
- Elena Garcia, Guest Artist
- Jubilee Dance Theatre, Guest Artist
- Katherine Kramer, Guest Choreographer
- Stacee Lanz, Guest Artist
- Heather Maloney, Guest Artist, Guest Choreographer
- Erin St. John, Guest Artist
- Daniela Wancier, Guest Choreographer
- Live in Color, Guest Performer
Masterclasses have included:
- Ralf Jaronschinski, contact improvisation
- Katherine Kramer, tap
- Shaneeka Harrell, contemporary dance