To be eligible for the applied professional studies major, students must:
- Have completed a minimum of 45 credits prior to applying to the applied professional studies major.
- Have completed an 18-credit concentration before applying to the applied professional studies major.
In addition to the documents described in the Required Documentation section of the Undergraduate Student Catalog, applicants to the applied professional studies major must complete and provide a portfolio containing the following documents. The assistance of an academic advisor should be sought for advice in the preparation of these documents.
- A letter of intent in which the student:
- Identifies his/her career goals;
- Identifies his/her prior coursework and approved prior learning experiences that comprise concentration I;
- Provides a rationale for considering concentration I as a coherent body of work;
- Identifies concentration II and explains how concentrations I and II integrate into an academic program focused on his/her career goals;
- Copies of transcripts with the 18-credits that comprise concentration I highlighted;
- One or more documents such as academic papers, projects, work products, letters of recommendation, written reviews of prior course work, written reviews of relevant professional experience, etc., that demonstrates the student's competency in concentration I.
The portfolio is submitted to the academic advisor for review by the director of the appropriate academic unit.